A recent large-scale international study found that 44 genetic variants can increase the risk of major depressive disorder. This finding helps to understand the genetic basis of depression and find new treatments.
The research was published in the British Journal of Nature and Genetics. Researchers from the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia collected data on more than 135,000 people with severe depression worldwide. After comparison analysis, they found that they all carried at least some of the 44 variant genes, of which 30 had previously Never found related to depression.
The researchers said that not all patients have improved their condition after receiving antidepressant medications, and their new findings help explain this phenomenon. In addition, they also found that, from a genetic perspective, depression and dementia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses have certain commonalities.
One of the authors of the paper, Jerome Brin, a researcher at King's College, University of London, believes that the discovery of these genetic variants is of great significance in the treatment of depression and can help develop new drugs or improve treatment methods.
Another researcher, Catherine Lewis, said: "This global study is only the first step. We need to further explore the genetic basis associated with depression to understand how genetic and environmental factors work together to increase the risk of depression."
According to data released by the World Health Organization, more than 300 million people worldwide suffer from depression, and only about half of them respond well to current treatments.
Related Industry Knowledge
- What are the Different Types of Laparoscopic In...
- What are the Most Common Laparoscopy Procedures？
- why are laparoscopy performed
- What is laparoscopy?
- What is a Laparoscopic Nephroureterectomy?
- Port site tuberculosis following laparoscopic c...
- disposable laparoscopic instruments in laparosc...
- what is Indirect laryngoscope
- What is Direct laryngoscope
- How to properly maintain and use thoracoscopic ...
- Naturally degradable sensors come out
- Containing iodine contrast agent can cause hypo...
- Liver cancer surgery risk algorithm makes tumor...
- T-cell immunotherapy successfully applied to ad...
- Three-dimensional printing movable artificial c...
- Japan develops viral anticancer therapy
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Minimally invasive procedures
- What Is Laparoscopic Surgery?
- Single-port laparoscopy